Saturday, September 6, 2014

THANK YOU FOR THE OUTPOURING OF SUPPORT

This week I received so many lovely notes and letters regarding my book about Jennifer's journey to hell with heroin. It hurt me to read some of the letters of people who were willing to share their obstacles with drugs from either their own experience or their family member's experience. I remember going through so much emotional turmoil during this period of time. There is nothing worse than feeling helpless to help your child when you see her falling into a deep pile of quicksand.

I want to let you know there are people who recover. I have met them. Not many of them, but a few. It's not a good percentage especially when it comes to heroin addiction. You see your child move from being your baby into being a monster whom you don't recognize anymore. When that evil spirit goes away for a while during a recovery period, you feel so optimistic that this will be the time.

For most heroin addicts, it is only a matter of time. The drug won't let you lose no matter how you fight it. It is just too, too strong. All we can do is try to understand this and remember our children the way they were before this started screwing up their lives. My daughter wasn't born a monster. She was a little angle full of love, smiles, and kisses. Heroin turned her into a monster by taking over her body. Addicts have perfected the methods of lying to other in order to get what they want--namely their drugs.

It would be easy to remember not only Jennifer, but my brother Lance, in that light. But I choose not to. I choose to remember my happier days with both of them before drugs entered their bodies and destroyed them.

Jennifer and Lance--rest in peace. I love you and miss you both! xooxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment