Monday, September 1, 2014

LAUNCHING THE BOOK

Today I officially sent out notices to my friends, family, and acquaintances announcing the publication of Jennifer Needle In Her Arm. What surprised me the most was the number of responses I received "thanking" me for writing the book from people who knew others who could use a book like this. I've known for a long time that drugs have permeated our society covering every nook and cranny of the earth. Even if you haven't experienced this in your immediate family, in most cases it isn't too far behind--a cousin, an uncle, a niece, or a nephew.

When I sat attending meetings at the numerous rehabs that Jennifer "recovered" at, they used to tell me that drug addiction is a "disease." I had a hard time buying into that for a long time. A disease....interesting. My sister has MS--and that's a disease. She didn't pick it--it picked her. She didn't have control over it--it controlled her. How could it be a "disease"?

I learned after traveling the addiction road with my daughter that it truly was a disease. It was an avoidable disease before you put the needle in your arm, but after it starts, the disease sets in.

How do you feel about drugs? Disease? Choice? Stoppable once you get on them?
Let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I just happened to come across this while looking at classes for ged. I am a recovering drug addict. ..heroin and anything else I could st my hands on. I am sorry for your loss and would be interested in reading your story. I had a very hard time believing that addiction is a disease but, after years of struggling with it I know without a doubt it is. A progressive one that affects almost everyone I know in some way. I know for me it took 15 years of my life and now I have finally realized that I don't want that life. I am a mother and I am extremely fortunate in that matter. My son is a great man today doesn't drink or do drugs because of what he saw me go through. I could write all day about my experience and maybe that is something I'll pursue now. I am going back to school and will be in touch. Let m know where I can read you and Jennifer's story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer. Thanks for sharing your story with me. Drug addiction is definitely a disease much like cancer. It overtakes your life and tries to kill you every single day of your life whether you are using or recovering. You have to be proud of yourself for realizing that it is no way to live. Every day is a victory. I hope you have a good support team. You can buy the book online at www.Jennifersdeath.com. I think you will be moved by the story. Much of it will be your own story.
    Hugs,
    Bonnie Kaye

    ReplyDelete